Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Biological clock You want to break!



         I don't know if it's because I live in a small town. I don't know if it's a woman thing...or a "people" thing...but there's soooo much pressure to hit life milestones when "everyone else" wants you to. For example...I'm 28, was married a month before I turned 23....everyone around me has 2-2.5 Kids...and I have 0. There's not a week that doesn't go by that someone isn't pointing to their watch telling me "it's about that time!"....really? is it?! I love kids, and DO want kids....lots. (I'd even like to adopt some day) My husband and I have tried "a couple of times"...off and on. (like for a month) We've never really followed any ovulation calendars...we've never taken my basil body temperature and I've never purchased a fertility test stick...(well, not unless you count the time my husband bought one by mistake when he meant to buy a pregnancy test) all the equipment is good to go...there's nobody shooting blanks, I've got plenty of eggs and my uterus is the right shape.....yada yada yada....The time just HAS NOT BEEN RIGHT.  We go through periods where we decide....alright, we've done plenty of "selfish" stuff now...lets try...but then we get the itch to go to Vegas...or buy a new TV.....take the afternoon to head up to the mountains...go out to a movie.
So, we've come to the conclusion...it'll happen when it happens. THAT'S not good enough for OTHER people though. I constantly get: "why don't you have kids"...."don't you want kids"..."are you guys one of THOSE couples that just want to have dogs all your life"?...seriously, people say this stuff to us ALL the time! ....and it's NOT just us.
        I see this happen with unmarried friends of mine. I have a few friends  ages 28/29 that get..."who are you dating"..."don't you want to get married?"...."why aren't you engaged yet" ...."can I set you up"???....no wonder people get divorced all the time! People are constantly feeling the pressure to jump on the good boat, get married and start reproducing.  It's like....if you're Twenty something and not married, somethings wrong. If you're late twenty something and have been married more than a year and you don't have kids....somethings wrong. Why can't my husband and I just have "fun"...I have plenty of nieces and nephews that I get my "baby love" fix from....we have lots of friends who have the cutest kids in the world...I'm the first one to play "dolls vs dinosaurs" ....but I'm not "dying" to have a kid yesterday. I'm just saying. If you're a proud parent or newlywed...shout it from the roof top! I support you! BUT stop pointing to MY biological clock, because I don't hear it ticking...why do you?



No comments:

Post a Comment