Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Real Housewife of Beverly Hills Husband Dies



      So EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE is talking about Taylor Armstrong's husband committing suicide this past Monday evening....and all anyone can do is shake their head.
How sad is this>!? I happened to have been checking out Huffington Post and read the details...and as an avid watcher of his show I was flabbergasted!
       It brings up a great question: When do the TV shows we watch become a reflection of what we are as humans?!...Here you have these women, who go on this show...fame follows and then what happens??? divorces, failed friendships, financial hardships, substance abuse, damaged reputations...a few physical altercations...and now even a death. It kind of makes everyone take a step back and say....wow, these are REAL PEOPLE...with real lives and  real feelings....JUST LIKE US.  I'm the first to poke a joke at someones obnoxious traits or make fun of someones temper tantrum..but goodness...after Taylor's husbands death...I feel like I'm guilty of watching LIVE train collisions with multiple fatalities...for "entertainment"....Think abut it. This man must have been going through so much pain to do something like this....and what do we have left of him, but some 30 second footage of him giving a speech at his (now) ex wife's birthday party. 
     These "characters" are human....with real life heart ache and real life problems. Maybe it's a lesson in how "heart broken" we as humans  have become. We watch these shows, because the drama is entertaining...It's OUR drama...televised. We watch, because the people on TV are REAL and have worse problems...We feel better when someone "acts out" because it makes us feel justified when WE "act out"...We don't feel so bad when we've "stepped out of line"...because people "step out of line all the time on TV"...We relate...We feel their anger when they're mad at their best friend. We feel their hurt when they find themselves being miss treated...and we justify it all as...THIS IS HOW IT GOES, EVEN for those rich beautiful housewifes in Beverly Hills...They're NOT perfect, so it's okay that I'm not perfect.
      Is it kind of  sad that we no longer prefer for family problems to get solved by the end of the episode like on Full House or Family Matters. (We would never see Stephanie Tanner flip a table a Kimmie Gibbler)...We want to see it go as far as it can go, because we say to ourselves: "They took that argument WAY further than any argument I've ever had with my sibling"...."I couldn't possibly see myself act  like THAT women did after a few cocktails"  or "I would never say what that housewife said to the other...I'm far more composed...aren't I?"...
    The world....IS what it IS today...broken...and kind of the worst reality TV show ever...and we are the cast. At what point do we decide to "cancel" our own show...strip off the microphones...and turn off the cameras? Can we all take a second to BE a little bit happy? We are all so busy with THE SHOW....We are THAT uncontrolled, that undignified, that irrational, unpredictable...we eat too much, spend too much, fight too much, get too lazy, get too self absorbed...because we are PEOPLE. It's normal, agreed...but why CANT we solve the problem by the end of the episode? Lets get to the dinner party just a little late with our hair a little bit messed up, not wearing the most flattering dress..and feel comfortable sitting next to the woman that pissed us off at the grocery store. We are ALL the same (as messed up as everyone else)...maybe if everyone took a second to try to understand that...We wouldn't be so glued to that reality TV show....Maybe we could care just a little bit more when we notice someone is "down"...or take the time to encourage each others "ups!"  Lets shake off some of each other's stress and strife. Life is all about Ups and Downs...and televised or not...it might be a good idea to skip a little bit of the dramatics...and maybe....just LIVE....

No comments:

Post a Comment